Your Journey Home

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

One of my graduates (Mommy brag ahead, proceed with caution)



Okay first of all, I am not sure how many of my dear readers remembering my long ago post about my oldest son "C" and his constant issues at school. He drove his poor teacher nuts and I found myself apologizing more times than I could count. I honestly felt he was going to get kicked out of school, and in private schools around here that is not out of the question even in preschool and/or kindergarten. After the first few rocky months, my dear son started to buckle down and mellow out.

Last week was his kindergarten graduation. I was scared to death just trying to imagine the stunts and antics he would pull during the graduation ceremony. Okay, I admit, he was still the class clown. His personality really shined through and the people behind us thought he was a little hoot.

After the laughter settled down, I honestly started to look at this boy on stage. This child that came from across the ocean, that never heard English until he was a year and a half old, this child that had the biggest grin on his face staring at me. How did I get so lucky to become his mom?

As I looked at my son on stage, I couldn't help but think about how far he has come in his short life. I am simply amazed by his ability to deal with things and what a special child he truly has become. I remember his medical reports in Ukraine and how the orphanage director and our translator told us we would be wise to not take him home since he had issues and medical concerns. We were told he had fetal alcohol issues and would never be bright. As I sat there and looked at this boy, my beloved son, I am amazed at how well-rounded little guy he is and how I wish I could show these same people that my little boy has made honor roll in kindergarten. Okay, I know it is just kindergarten and not college but for him to learn to read this year and do mathematical problems is something I thought he would really have to struggle with. He has shown that his mind and heart has brought him through a really sad beginning in life but yet he has overcome and found peace. I know there is no banner over his head to even let a room full of strangers understand that the very sight of "C" standing there and being centerstage is a miracle. I know a parent can have pride in their children's accomplishments, but I find myself most proud of the life my son has survived through. I don't mean to sound so dramatic. I really don't. I know some families never get to go to the orphanages where their children lived and a part of me thinks that might be a good thing. On the other hand, I would never have given up that opportunity to see the place for myself and to try to understand the bigger reality and what these children have already survived through. I wonder if I will always see that little boy from Ukraine when I look at my oldest son. Maybe it is because he was older and has such strong memories and feelings about it that it is hard to not remember that small child that clung to me that first day over 4 years ago. I don't seem to have those thoughts about my youngest, mainly because he doesn't seem to remember things and he was very loved and spoiled at the orphanage. "C" was trouble and the caregivers seemed relieved to see him go, so maybe a part of me became even more protective over "C".


So today I celebrate my son's accomplishment, it is far more than a cap and gown and a diploma.....he is my hero. He fought a war and survived. He kept a loving heart and strong will through some dark days and I will never forget that.

I love you "C" and I feel so honored to be your mommy. Your laughter makes my heart rejoice and your smile brightens my days.

Congratulation to my little graduate!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Lilypie Baby Ticker Lilypie Baby Ticker Who links to me?